Born in Feltre, Italy, 1992 _ Currently based in Malax, Finland
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
2014 - 2016 _ Master degree in Art Graphic from Brera Academy of Fine Arts, Milan (Italy), obtained a score of 110/110 eulogy, with the thesis Montagne d'Autore (Dino Buzzati Traverso 1906-1972). Skills in visual arts, art history and traditional graphic.
2011 - 2014 _ Bachelor degree in Painting from Brera Academy of Fine Arts, Milan (Italy), obtained a score of 108/110, with the thesis La Linea nell'Arte. Skills in visual arts, art history and painting.
2006 - 2011 _ Diploma of Graphic Design from T. Catullo High School Institute , Belluno (Italy), obtained a score of 100/100 in advertising graphic design.
- Svenska Kulturfonden _ public art project with recycled books from the Lafkan antique shop (now permanently closed), 2021;
- Svenska Österbottens kulturfond (Nils Lundqvists fond) _ personal art project The Grey Hour, 2020-21;
- Svensk-Österbottniska Samfundet ( SÖS) _ personal art project The Grey Hour, 2020-21;
- Svenska Kulturfonden _ art exhibitions projects at Black Box Genesis art space, 2020;
- Vaasa City Kultural Grant _ got for Black Box Genesis art space, 2020;
- Starttiraha _ one year start-up grant, 2018-19.
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Finalist for Exibart Prize 2020, Rome, Italy;
- Nominated for Premio Lynx 2019, Trieste, Italy;
- Selected for VIZart International Biennale 2019 of Self-portrait entitled Who I am, Tirana, Albania;
- CCSA (under 35) open call _ with the art group La Faretra, we won the open call by Crema Municipality (Italy, 2019), presented the art project: Terminal - a contemporary reflection inspired by Leonardo da Vinci;
- N. Zingarelli Prize _ nomination for the book I Memorabili (Cerignola, Italy, 2014);
- U. Domina humoristic literature prize _ finalist with the book I Memorabili, vite segrete di uomini illustri (Enna, Italy, 2014).
- THROWughOUT (also online exhibition) at Black Box Genesis (Vaasa, Finland, March 28 - April 12 2020);
- Fall at Black Box Genesis art space (Vaasa, Finland, November - Dicember 2018);
- Panismo at Black Box Genesis art space (Vaasa, Finland, 2018);
- Nati Per Leggere - Libri D’artista at City Libraries exhibition spaces (Varallo Sesia, Italy, 2016).
- Mural Rural exhibition, group exhibition at Malakta gallery (Malax, Finland, May 2021);
-The Body Lenguage, Itsliquid Group, at The ROOM Contemporary Art Space and Palazzo Albrizzi Capello (Venice, Italy, March 2021);- Konstrundan 2020 (also online exhibition) at Black Box Genesis (Vaasa, Finland, September 2020)/ Group exhibition at Malakta art Factory and mural painting still in process (Malax, Finland, September 2020);
- Salong 20x20x20 at Galleri Socker ( Umeå, Sweden, March 2020);
- Ibis Open Walls, photo exhibition at Ibis Photo Gallery (Vaasa, Finland, November 2019 - February 2020);
- Terminal at Sale Agello (Crema, Italy, December 2019);
- On the occasion of LYNX 2019, my art work L'occhio del nibbio was present at the third and last exhibition at Lokarjeva art gallery, (Ajdovščina, Slovenia,November - December 2019);
- Who I Am, VIZart International Biennal 2019 of Self-portrait at National Historical Museum (Tirana, Albania, September 2019);
- Konstrundan 2019 at Malakta art Factory (Malax, Finland, September 2019);
- Participation in Swiss Art Expo 2019 art fair (Zurich, Switzerland, August 2019);
- Terminal, una riflessione contemporanea ispirata a Leonardo da Vinci at Spazio d’arte Tribasso-Looking for Art (Milano,Italy, July 2019) and at Sala Bergognone (Nerviano, Italy, May 2019);
- Performer in the solo exhibition Untitled by Bekim Hasaj at Black Box Genesis art space (Vaasa, Finland, April 2019);
- Sussurri, Racconti Dal Contemporaneo at Villa Rusconi (Rescaldina, Italy, February 2019);
- Le Forme Dell'Uomo at Casa delle Artiste (Milan, Italy, November 2018);
- Il Bestiario di Brera at Villa Adele in San Vittore Olona (Italy, October 2018);
- Le Bestie di Brera at Sala Birolli (Verona, Italy, September 2018);
- Under 30 at Studiodieci Citygallery Vercelli (Vercelli, Italy, 2016);
- Nati Per Leggere - Libri D’artista at City Libraries exhibition spaces (Grignasco, Italy, 2016);
- Dragons Are Back, illustration exhibition at City coltural exhibition space (Santa Giustina, Italy, 2010).
- Mural Rural Festival 2021 _ selected artist for Mural Rural by Malakta rf ry (autumn 2020, postpone on spring 2021);
- Vaasa Arts Night 2020 _ mural painting for Vaasa Arts Night 30° anniversary (August 2020);
- Vaasa Arts Night 2019 _ art installation Glitch- sorry, there is interference (Finland, August 2019);
- Burning Art Festival 2018 _ performance Deep Smoke at Malkta Art Factory (Malax, Finland, September 2018);
- Vaasa Arts Night 2018 _ performance Living Painting at Black Box Genesis art space and on the streets (August 2018, Finland);
- Participation as artist at the National Cultural Project Nati per Leggere (Varallo Sesia,Grignasco, Italy, 2016);
- Participation as fine art student in the workshop about Breraten - Quaderno Di Appunti Visivi by Barbara Vistarini ( Milan, Italy, 2015);
- Presentation of books to various cultural events such as Libri in Cantina (Treviso, Italy, 2013) and Modena Book Fair (Modena, 2014).
- Exibart Prize 2020, finalists' catalog (3rd March 2021);
- interview and photo documentation for the Museum institution archive of Vaasa City by Silvia Rinne (Vaasa, Finland, September 2020);
- interview, article and video documentation by Vaasa City cultural department, about the Mural for Vaasa Arts Night 2020 ( Vaasa, Finland, 1st September 2020);
- radio interview and article by Yle cultural section ( Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland, 31st July 2020);
- Who I Am, VIZart International Biennal 2019 of Self-portrait catalog (Tirana, Albania, September 2019);
- video documentation by Crem@online and article by Cultura Crema about Terminal - una riflessione ispirata a Leonardo da Vinci group exhibition( Crema, Italy, December 2019);
- interview and article for the blog/emerging section of The Bow - Art Communicator ( Italy, 8th August 2018).
- Illustrations in Eos Megazine (n. 6-7-8 2019, n.1-2-3-4-5-6 2020, n.8 2021);
- S. Gelain, V. Gelain, I Memorabili, Il Ciliegio, Como, 2013;
- S. Gelain, V. Gelain, Lady Schumi (vol. II), Il Ciliegio, Como, 2011; - S. Gelain, V. Gelain, Lady Schumi ( vol. I), Il Ciliegio, Como, 2010;
- Illustrations in L'Artiglio - L'oro del dio Hunn, Donato Altomare, Edizioni Della Vigna, Varese, 2010.
ARTIST TALKS AND WORKSHOP
- Online llustration Workshop 'Your Story, Your Character!' for Art Saturday at Malakta (March 2021);
- I held the Muminpyssel Workshop, after Det osynliga barnet show by Wasa Teater hosted at Malakta on 28 November 2020;
- Online Workshop ' Play With Leaves' for Art Saturday at Malakta (October 2020);
- Artist Talk _ I had three meetings with the students of Vasa övningsskola, to talk about the mural commissioned by the city of Vaasa to celebrate the Arts Night anniversary (Vaasa, September 2020);
- Handmade Paper Workshop for Art Saturday at Malakta (December 2019);
- Artist Talks and Workshop _ artist talks during the personal and group exhibition and collateral workshop for the National Cultural Project Nati per Leggere (Varallo Sesia,Grignasco, Italy, 2016);
- Workshop and Radio Interview _ writing and illustration workshop with Setefano Gelain for primary school, with a collateral interview on the local radio (Possagno, Italy, 2010).
February 2021 - Present _ Full Member of G.A.P. - Globe Art Point ry (Finland);
January 2021 - Present _ Client of Kuvasto ry Visual Arts' Copyright Society (Finland);
June 2020 - Present _ Alternate Member for Elokuvakeskus Botnia ry/ Film Centrum rf (Vaasa, Finland);
May 2019 - Present _ Board Member for Malakta Art Factory rf/ry (Malax, Finland).
• 2020 - Present _ Co-organizer of Mural Rural Festival by Malakta ry/rf project (Malax, Finland).
• 2019 - Present _ Social media and Visual Coordinator for Malakta ry/rf (Malax, Finland).
• October 2019 - Present _ Illustrator for Eos children magazine, Nykterhetsförbundet Hälsa och Trafik rf (Vaasa, Finland).
• June 2018 - Present _ Oner, Manager and Art Curator of Black Box Genesis Art Space (Vaasa, Finland).
• May 2018 - Present _ Founder and Owner of Black Box Genesis, Freelance Visual Artist for Black Box Genesis. Collaboration with Malakta ry/rf, Malakta Films ltd, Elokuvakeskus Botnia ry/rf, Regional Dance Centre of Ostrobothnia ry/rf, private customers etc.
• Jenuary - August 2020 _ Communication, Social media Coordinator and Production Assistant of mAPs-migrating atists project, for Malakta Films ltd.
• July - August 2020 _ Mural Painting in collaboration with Vaasa City Cultural Services for a mural grented by Bröderna Gröndahls Stiftelse - Veljekset Gröndahlin Säätiö sr.
• March 2019 - May 2020 _ Assistant of J. Rajala Granstubb for Elokuvakeskus Botnia ry/ Film Centrum rf (Vaasa, Finland).
• June - July 2019 _ Production Assistant ( also photo documentation and Premiere visual graphics) for Touched - film documentary by Jukka Rajala and Marc Wagenbach.
• 2010 - 2017 _ Freelance Visual Artist, Collaborations with 360 Decor-Art (Milan, Italy).
• August 2015 _ Private Art Teacher (Milan, Italy)
• June - July 2010 _ The high school program included a month of internship during the summer vacation period with a company or a freelancer. I spent my month of internship with the cartoonist / artist R. Totaro.
Copyright © 2021 Valentina Gelain